5 russet potatoes
1 1/2 tsp salt,
1/2 cup white-wine vinegar
4 large eggs
1 1/4 cup low-fat mayonnaise
4 stalks celery, finely chopped
1 sweet onion, finely chopped
1/4 cup sweet or dill pickle relish
Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Peel potatoes and cut into 1/2inch cubes. Place them in a large pot and add water to cover; add 1 teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer until very tender - this should take about 15 to 20 minutes. Drain well. While still warm, transfer the potatoes to a baking sheet and drizzle with vinegar. Set aside to cool to room temperature.
- Place eggs in a medium saucepan and add water to cover by 1 inch. Bring to a simmer.
- Reduce heat to low and cook at a light simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Pour out the hot water and cover the eggs with ice-cold water. Let stand until cool enough to handle.
- Once the eggs have cooled, remove the shells.
- Grate the eggs through the large holes on a box grater or finely chop them.
- Combine mayonnaise, celery, onion, pickle relish, the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pepper in a large bowl.
- Add the cooled potatoes and grated eggs, stir to combine.
- Serve at room temperature or chilled.