200g Basmati Rice
1 sliced shallot
1 tsp turmeric, ground
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp coriander seeds
1 tsp chilli flakes
1 tsp paprika
4 tsp salt
1 roasted red pepper
25g chopped coriander
For the dressing:
1 tbsp English mustard
2 tbsp white wine vinegar
4 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp honey
1/2 tsp ras el hanout spice (Moroccan spice) or if not available a pinch of each of the following: saffron, chilli powder, cayenne pepper, paprika
This is a lovely and light summer’s dish, and works wonderfully as an accompaniment to Hensons' Gourmet Burgers.
- Place the rice with the water in a suitable sized pan, cover and bring to the boil. Simmer until cooked (the water should have evaporated and you should be left with fluffy rice)
- Once cooked, refresh in cold water to stop the cooking process
- While the rice is cooking, place a pan onto the stove with a little oil. Once hot, place the shallots into the pan, turn down the heat and sweat gently for 15 minutes
- Put the spices in with the shallots and cook for a further 10-15 minutes
- Place the chickpeas and the red pepper with the shallots and spices and place in a suitable bowl with the drained rice and chopped coriander.
- For the dressing, place the mustard and honey in a bowl. Whisk in the white wine vinegar until incorporated. Slowly whisk in the olive oil and then add the spices.
- Drizzle over the rice salad.
- You can finish the salad with a little natural yoghurt if you like.