For the pancakes:
150g plain flour
1 tbsp caster sugar
1 tsp baking powder
125ml full-fat milk
1 free-range egg
30g/1oz butter, melted
1 tbsp fresh dill, chopped
vegetable oil, for frying
200g/7oz cottage cheese
12 gherkins, chopped
½ red onion, finely chopped
12 slices pastrami
This recipe by Simon Rimmer serves 4.
- For the pancakes, sieve the flour, sugar, salt and baking powder into a bowl
- Whisk the milk, egg, butter and dill together in a separate bowl
- Stir the wet mixture into the dry ingredients until the mixture comes together as a smooth, thick batter
- Heat a little vegetable oil in a frying pan and spoon in tablespoonfuls of the pancake batter. Cook the pancakes for 1-2 minutes, or until bubbles form on the surface, then carefully turn them over and cook for a further 1-2 minutes, until golden-brown on both sides.
- Remove the pancakes from the pan and keep warm. Repeat with the remaining pancake mixture.
- Mix the cottage cheese, gherkins and red onion together in a small bowl.
- Heat a frying pan until hot and fry the pastrami slices until crisp.
- To serve, stack the pancakes on serving plates and spoon some of the cottage cheese mixture alongside. Top with the crisp pastrami